Georgia Early Learning Reading Initiative
Celebrate Super Bowl LIII in our hometown of Atlanta
Share the Magic Foundation is launching the Georgia Early Learning Reading Initiative that places Author and Super Bowl Champion Malcolm Mitchell’s book, The Magician’s Hat, into the hands of second grade students in some of the neediest schools in Georgia. We are proud to launch this initiative in collaboration with the Get Georgia Reading Campaign and the Governor’s Office of Student Achievement. Our goal is to inspire positive attitudes toward reading through a statewide community engagement day the week prior to Super Bowl Sunday. The Georgia Early Learning Reading Initiative provides each student in confirmed, participating second grade classrooms with their own hardback copy The Magician’s Hat. Teachers will receive the classroom Teacher’s Guide that includes standard-based lesson plans, assessments and extension activities with vocabulary lessons, writing tasks and activities involving drama, math, social studies and physical fitness. An animated video of Malcolm reading the book is also provided as an innovative method of connecting the students to Malcolm and his love of reading. Special thanks to our partners and sponsors!
Early Learning Reading Initiative:
Educators or Community Leaders can apply to participate in the Early Learning Reading Initiative.
- Books are $17.99 plus shipping. Schools are given a 20% discount for all student books.
- Read with Malcolm provides the school with an animated video of Malcolm reading “The Magician’s Hat”
- Malcolm does not make an appearance when books are provided through the Early Learning Reading Initiative unless there is a system wide donation. If there is a system-wide donation, one school is selected within the school-system for a school visit.
- A Teacher's Guide with standard-based extension activities is available as a free download.
- We encourage schools to work with community partners to assist with the cost of the books. If your school is a Title I, 90% or greater free/reduced lunch program, you can apply for a Share the Magic Foundation Matching Grant.
Your students are invited to participate in our virtually learning programs, READCamp and READBowl. READCamp is a free initiativeopen to any student during the summer break. This special reading campaign lead by "Head Coach" Malcolm Mitchell is designed to maintain literacy skills over the summer and avoid "the summer slide". READBowl is designed to foster a "big-game" atmosphere among students when it comes to in school reading minutes, by kicking off the same day as the College Football National Championship Game and culminating on Super Bowl Sunday.
Help us make a difference in the life of a young student by simply giving a young reader the “magic” of reading as they begin their academic journey.
Director, Read with Malcolm Programs